Monday, July 30, 2007

The War – Day 13 (Part 4)

The 13th day’s war ended with Abhimanyu’s death. Arjuna was away from the scene fighting alone against the suicide army of the Trigarthas. They had become such a nuisance that the Pandava had decided to put an end to their challenge once and for all.

Arjuna became worried that day when he was returning from his battle. He spoke to his friend. “Krishna, I feel somehow apprehensive today. My heart palpitates for no reason. I wonder, if something would have happened to my brother”. That was all that Arjuna could think of at that time.

Krishna said. “Do not worry about him. I am sure that he is safe”.

Arjuna’s Grief

Arjuna noticed several bad omens on the way to his army's camp. As they came near the Pandava became even more nervous. He said. “Why is that I do not hear the usual auspicious blowing of conch shells and playing of trumpets? We always hear prayers and music played on the Veena in the evenings when the warriors relax”. He was sure that something was seriously wrong. He exclaimed. “Why is that every one is hanging his head down when I arrive?”

When he met his brothers they all averted their glances. Then, Arjuna asked. “I notice that your faces are pale. I do not find Abhimanyu among you. I was aware that Drona had built the circular formation today. It was only my son who knew how to break that apart from me. Did you rashly send him for that herculian task which was too much for his young shoulders? Oh, My God! If something has happened to him, I shall end my life this very instant”.

He asked his eldest brother to explain what happened.

Yudhishthira, with a heavy heart, explained the events of the day. He went into the details of Abhimanyu making a thrust into the Kaurava formation, how Jayadrataha prevented other Pandavas from following the young son of Arjuna and how that became fatal for the Abhimanyu.

The Oath

Arjuna’s sorrow turned into an uncontrollable rage. Without thinking about the consequences he proclaimed. “I shall chop the head of the Sindhu king before the sun sets tomorrow. If I do not succeed to do that, I shall end my own life by jumping into fire tomorrow, itself”.

The news reached the Kaurava ranks within no time. Jayadratha was worried. He told Duryodhana. “Prince, you have heard about Arjuna’s pledge. I am worried about my life. Let me go and hide somewhere where the Pandava cannot find me”.

But, Duryodhana assured his ally. “Have no worry for your life. Look, who are all here to protect you! The Pandava will have to destroy all of us, the Acharya, Karna, Salya, Kripa, myself and my entire army, before he can come anywhere near you.

Dronacharya also pacified the king of Sindhu. He said that he would make such a formation next day that even Arjuna would find it hard to break into.

Krishna’s misgivings

News travel fast from one army to the other in war. There are spies posted by each party in the enemy’s camp to get the pulse in time. The news of the extra precaution taken by Duryodhana and his entire army to guard the Saindhava reached the Pandavas soon. Krishna was apprehensive. He told Arjuna. “My friend, you were unduly hasty in taking that pledge. Why did you not consult me in advance? It will not be easy for you to honour your words when the Acharya has given his full support to Jayadratha”.

But, Arjuna was unperturbed. He said. “Krishna, you shall see me at my best tomorrow. Let the Acharya and the entire Kaurava forces protect Jayadratha. I shall kill him tomorrow in spite of everything”.

Krishna was pleased with the firm resolve of his dear friend.

Krishna’s difficult mission

Krishna was given the difficult task of consoling Subhadra, Uttara and Draupadi. The women were in uncontrollable grief. What all Krishna could say was how valiantly Abhimanyu fought against the combined forces of the Kauravas. Krishna asked them to feel proud, as Kshatriya women ought to, of the hero and not to wail over his loss. He also told them of Arjuna’s resolve for revenge.

Krishna orders for his own chariot

Krishna knew that the war next day would be a crucial one. He could take no chances. So, he thought of his own charioteer, which is Krishna’s way of sending for him . Daruka sensed that his services were required and appeared before Krishna instantaneously. Krishna spoke to him.
“You would already have known about tomorrow’s battle. I need your expertise that time. Get my own chariot ready with my horses, Saibya, Manigriva, Meghapushpa and Valahaka. Equip the chariot with all my special weapons. I do not want to take any chances. Arjuna’s victory will be mine. If he fails, it will be my failure, too”.

Daruka replied. “Sir, let that be so. How can Arjuna fail when you are at his side?”
So saying, the charioteer of Krishna disappeared.

Thus ends the chapter “the Oath of Arjuna (Pratijna Parvam)”. We start a new chapter which runs into nearly 4,000 stanzas of poetry with the next episode. The fourteenth day of war is covered in that chapter.