Sunday, July 15, 2007

The War – Day 10 (Part 1)

Yudhishthira takes counsel

Night had fallen on the ninth day of war. The Pandavas suffered badly that day at the hands of Bhishma. They were exhausted both physically and mentally. Sleep was eluding them thinking of the terror let loose by the grandsire against their forces. Yudhishthira was in the company of his brothers and Krishna. He spoke. “Krishna, did you notice how our grand father (uncle) moved like an elephant in a pool with lotus flowers through our army and destroyed everything on his way? It was difficult even to look at the grandsire when he was in that terrible form. With him in the enemy ranks we have no hopes of victory. It pains me that I cause the death of thousands of valiant soldiers for my sake which is hopeless. It is, probably, better that I become an ascetic and abandon all desires for kingdom and power.”

Krishna tried to console him. He said. “Do not worry, O! Son of the god of death (Dharmaputra)! Allow me to fight and I shall kill Bhishma all alone.”

But, Yudhishthira did not want Krishna to break his word on his account. Then, he remembered the promise made by his grandfather on the very first day of war. Bhishma had asked Yudhishthira to approach him later to get tips on the way to defeat him.

Krishna thought that it was an excellent idea. The Pandavas, along with Krishna, went that night to meet Bhishma. All bowed in front of the aged warrior who had not met with defeat all his life.

The most valuable tip

Bhishma welcomed them with all his heart and asked what he could do for them. Yudhishthira spoke. “Sir, you leave no chance for us to attack you. With you in the Kaurava ranks we have no hopes of victory. When you are in the present formidable form there is none on earth who could face you in battle. Please tell us how we could fight with you”.

Bhishma smiled and said. “True, there is none who could win a war against my army while I am alive. But, I have already told you of my resolve not to fight against any who is born as a woman. You have the Panchala youth, Sikhandi, who had taken birth as a princess. Let Arjuna attack me keeping Sikhandi in his front. I shall not raise arms against the Panchala. Arjuna will find gaps in my defenses that way. This is your only way to defeat me”.

Arjuna in delemma

The Pandavas returned home highly pleased. But, Arjuna was in two minds. He spoke to Krishna. “How can I do that against my own grandfather? I remember my childhood days when I used to climb on to his laps in my soiled dress. He used to embrace me with great love and kindness. I also have tremendous respect and love towards him. How can I raise my weapons against that venerable person?”

But, Krishna reminded his friend of the pledge given by him that he will kill Bhishma in battle. There was no other way for the Pandavas to win the war. Krishna, with his persuasive words managed to convince Arjuna to do the task as the duty of warrior (Kshatriya).

The Battle formation

The Pandavas got into a formation called “destruction of all enemies (Sarva Satru Haram)” on the tenth day. Sikhandi stood in the front. Bhima and Arjuna guarded the two wings. Abhimanyu and the sons of Draupadi stood at the back. All the other Pandava warriors followed from behind.

The Pandavas surged ahead into the Kaurava army in that formation. They could make heavy damages in the enemy from the beginning. Duryodhana was greatly worried. He approached Bhishma. “Grandfather, you are our only hope against this concerted attack from the Pandavas. Please thwart their attack with all your might. The best of our warriors like Drona, Salya, Kripa and Aswatthama are all there to support you.”

Bhishma was thoughtful for a while. Then, with a resign he said. “Let that be so. I shall face the Pandavas. Today I shall repay my obligation to you by killing thousands in the Pandava side”.
The Pandavas noticed the arrival of the grandsire by the great wedge he created within their army. Arjuna asked Sikhandi to attack the grandsire with all his might. He, Arjuna, would be there right behind to protect him. All the veterans on the Pandava side, like Yudhishthira, Nakula, Sahadeva, Abhimanyu, Dhrishtadyumna, Drupada and Virata all soon joined the attack against Bhishma. Duryodhana, noticing danger, sent the best of his fighters to block the path of the approaching Pandavas against Bhishma.

Dussasana against Arjuna and Sikhandi

It was Dussasana who dared to challenge Arjuna’s march forward. The Kaurava offered stiff resistance for a long while. But, the sharp arrows from Gandiva pierced through his armour and lodged deep in his body. He appeared like a tree with thorns that blossomed with red flowers. Dussasana had to retreat and take temporary refuge behind Bhishma.

Alambusha and Bhagadatta faced Satyaki. A great battle was fought between the two sides. Aswatthama attacked Virata and Drupada at the same time. The son of Drupada fought like a hero against the two veterans on the Pandava side. Severeal other duels were fought that day, the Pandavas trying to close in on Bhishma and the Kauravas trying to push them back.

(To be Continued)