Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The War – Day 10 (Part 3)

Dhritarashtra heard about the fall of his father (uncle), Bhishma and lamented to Sanjaya. “My heart must be made of iron that it did not burst into pieces hearing this tragic news. He, who was not beaten even by the great Parasurama, is now felled by a much inferior warrior, Sikhandi. How can I tolerate such an insult to my father?” Sanjaya kept quiet while the blind king spoke those pitiable words. Then, he continued with the story.

The grandsire who stood tall among all the Kuru kings lay down on the battle ground on a bed of arrows. The battle was called off as soon as the news spread all through the battle field. All the warriors from both the sides came around him with sunken hearts.
Bhishma greeted all those who came to see him.

A pillow for the drooping head

Bhishma said. “Look, my heading is drooping down because no arrow has struck on it from behind. I feel uncomfortable without a support for my head”.

All rushed to bring soft pillows of all size and shape to make the grandsire feel at ease. But, Bhishma turned them all down. He said. “None of these suit a hero like me who is resting on a bed of arrows”. Then, he turned to Arjuna and spoke. “My son, don’t you see that I have nothing for my head to rest on?”

Arjuna guessed what the grandsire had in mind. He struck three arrows into the ground right below his head. The three lodged themselves just to give Bhishma the exact support that he was looking for.

Bhishma was happy. He addressed those around him. “Did you not notice how Arjuna gave me the pillow I was looking for? Give up your mutual enmity and put an end to the war now”.

Duryodhana brought a team of men of medicine to sooth the wounds on the body of the grandsire. But, Bhishma turned them all away. He said. “I shall remain on this bed until the sun turns north. You need only to guard this place until then”.

The Kaurava prince, then, posted men near the grandsire at his call at all times. All, then, went for rest.

Karna with Bhishma

When others left, Karna came alone and prostrated before Bhishma. He announced himself. “Here I am, the son of the charioteer and whom you disliked all along”.

Bhishma welcomed Karna and spoke. “Come,My boy! You were always annoyed with me. I know about your birth. You are not the son of Adhiratha (the charioteer), but, of Kunti. I have no anger towards you. True, that I have been treating you harshly. That was only to bring some sense to your mind that kept unfair enmity with the Pandavas. I know that you are equal to Arjuna in most domains of warfare. I also know that you are noble at heart. But, you have been very cruel towards the Pandavas under evil influence. Leave all that now. Your place is with the Pandavas and not with those who have caused great suffering to them”.

Karna said that he was aware of his true birth. But, he did not want to abandon Duryodhana who made him what he was.

Bhishma heard what Karna had to say. He thought that it was difficult to change what was in store. So, he blessed Karna and remained on his bed of arrows waiting for his time of death.

To quench the thirst

All gathered around the fallen hero next morning. Bhishma complained about acute thirst. Everyone hurried to bring exotic drinks to make Bhishma happy. But, the grandsire refused even to look at them. He said. “I am not after worldly enjoyment any more”. He, then, turned to Arjuna and repeated his request.

The Pandava hero pulled an arrow from his Gandiva chanting a Mantra that invoked water (Parjanya Astram) and despatched it to the ground close to the grandsire. The arrow penetrated deep into the earth. To the astonishment of all around, a fountain of fresh cool water arose from the ground that fell on the face of Bhishma. The grandsire was satisfied and felt extremely pleased with the feat of his favourite grand nephew. He said. “This is not surprising from you, the best among Kurus!”

Then, he called Duryodhana to his side and advised him. “Did you not see the unique feat of Arjuna? There are no secrets (Mantras) in the entire science of archery that Arjuna does not know about. You can never match his skill in battle. It is better that you have peace with him before he burns down your entire army down. Get into a treaty with the Pandavas before they kill your remaining brothers. Let all enmities end with me. Let live all those valiant warriors who are left with you and with the Pandavas. Let the war end with my death”.

But, Duryodhana kept quiet even after hearing the well meaning words spoken by Bhishma from his bed of arrows.

Thus ends the 10th day of war, the chapter on the “Fall of Bhishma (Bhishma Vadha Parvam)” and the “Book of Bhishma (Bhishma Parvam)”