Sunday, July 27, 2008

Yudhishthira’s sorrow

Dhritarashtra concluded his address to Yudhishthira saying, “son, give me permission to leave. Let me start meditating in the forests, the fruits of which will bring fame not only to you, but, to our entire race.

Yudhishthira was dumb struck hearing the words of his uncle. He never even suspected any cause for unhappiness to him. He was nearly in tears. He replied. “I never even dreamt that I had caused any grief to you. I do not covet power or riches when you suffer like this. You are my father, mother and teacher. How shall I exist after you go away? You better make your own son Yuyutsu (born of a woman of the merchant class, Vaisya) the king, and rule the land through him. Please let me retire to forest. Or else, if you insist on leaving, I shall also surely follow you to the forest.”

When Dhritarashtra heard his nephew speak, he looked helplessly all around and requested Sanjaya and Kripa to plead with Yudhishthira on his behalf. Then, exhausted with emotion and months of fasting, he passed out into the hands of Gandhari.

The sight of his uncle’s condition made the Pandava king even more aggrieved. He lamented. “Look at the lion of Kurus who had the strength of thousands of elephants. He once could crush the iron statue of Bhima to powder. Is that uncle of mine the one who now fell down with no strength left in him?”

Yudhishthira, then, sprinkled some cold water on the face of Dhritarashtra and started stroking all over his body with his gentle hands. Soon, the aged Kaurava king opened his eyes and looked lovingly at his nephew. He said. “Your touch has rejuvenated me. Please continue stroking me with your nectar (amruta) like fingers.”

Then, he repeated his request. “Son, let me go. Do not torment me any more by keeping me back in the palace against my wishes.” All those who were present burst into tears listening to the heart breaking words of the blind king.

Yudhishthira, then, spoke to his uncle. “You are my king. If you love me, please eat some food first. We can talk about other things later.” To that Dhritarashtra replied. “You give me your consent to leave. Then, I shall eat.”

Vyasa on the scene

Veda Vyasa arrived on the scene just at that time, as he used to do whenever his presence was required in Hastinapura. He asked the Pandava king. “Yudhishthira, do as your uncle wants. Give him permission to leave. The path he wants to follow is what was taken by all your great ancestors.”

Yudhishthira could not turn against the wise words of his grand father. He spoke turning to Dhritarashtra. “You are my father. As the dutiful son, I shall obey all your orders”

Vyasa commented. “What you said is true. Your uncle is the true king. Let him do as he desires.” With these words, the sage made every one agree to the wishes of the aged king and his queen.

Dhritarashtra was very pleased finding approval for his way. He retired to his palace in the company of his devoted queen and followed by all the others. He, then, performed his morning worships and prayers and ate some food as promised. The Pandavass remained at the side of their uncle and aunt, looking after their comfort and desires.

After Dhritarashtra finished his meal he called Yudhishthira lovingly to his side and gave him valuable instructions on the important aspects of ruling the country. When he finished Yudhishthira said. “I shall follow all your teachings to the best of my abilities. The wise Bhishma has ascended to heaven. Now you are also leaving me. Who else will guide me on all these issues?”

After Yudhishthira took his leave Gandhari wanted to know when her husband planned to retire to forest along with her. The king had set the month of Kartika as his target date. Before that he wanted to perform elaborate memorial gifts (sraaddha) for all his children and other relations who had died in the war. He sent Vidura to Yudhishthira for his permission and all necessary arrangements.

Consent of the subjects

By then, a large crowd had assembled in the palace hearing the news of the king’s decision to depart to the forests. Dhritarashtra came out with folded hands and addressed them. “I and my wife have always lived, as did all my ancestors, as mutual friends and well wishers of you, the good subjects of this kingdom. Now, we want to take leave of you with the blessings of Vyasa and the Pandavas. The good Yudhishthira shall govern the kingdom and you will continue living happily under his rule. I leave him to you so that you take good care of him. I also leave you into his capable hands. I request you to give your consent to us.” Dhritarashtra also apologized to his subjects for all the death and destruction caused by his children.

The words of Dhritarashtra brought great sorrow to all those who had assembled there. Some covered their faces with their upper garments to hide their tears. They whispered among themselves in confusion, unable to make up their minds on how to reply to the king. Finally, the assembled men chose a Brahmin by name Samba to speak on their behalf. The highly learned and wise Samba, accordingly, addressed the blind king. “There has never been a king among the Kurus who has not looked after his subjects well. You and even your son, Duryodhana, have been wonderful kings who took good care of us. Please do not find fault with your children. What has happened is not because of them, but, simply by the fate of the country as a whole. Please remember that all your sons and other heroes of the Kuru race have reached that heaven where the Kshatriyas who die fighting a war live. ”

Samba continued after a pause. “True, that we all will miss you badly. But, you are wise and have chosen the right path for a king of your nature. We are confident that king Yudhishthira, supported by his able brothers, will rule the country admirably well. Please go with peace of mind and engage in meditation as you desire.”

All who listened to the words of Samba shook their heads in agreement. The citizens said that Samba spoke wisely and to the point. Dhritarashtra received the consent of his subjects with thanks and returned to his palace in the company of his queen.