Friday, July 4, 2008

The School Days of Uttanka

The School Days of Uttanka

We have been through the encounter Krishna had with sage Uttanka. We next go into the student days of Uttanka, about his paying his dues to his teacher, the famous sage, Gautama.

Gautama was very fond of his disciple, Uttanka, so much so that even after all his other students completed their studies and left the hermitage on paying their dues
(Guru Dakshina), he held Uttanka back. It was the custom those days that the Guru decided if and when the disciple was ready to go on his own into the world of the grown ups. Even those who joined the hermitage later to learn various fields of studies under sage Gautama completed their internship and left. Uttanka remained behind serving the teacher and continuing to learn at the same time. It was not because Uttanka was a slow learner. On the contrary, sage Gautama was so pleased with him that it simply did not occur to the teacher that it was high time that he sent his disciple away.

It is said that Uttanka grew past his youth into adulthood and even old age and, yet, continued to serve sage Gautama in the hermitage. One day Uttanka went to bring fire wood from the forest as per the custom. He was tired due to the burden he carried and from hunger and thirst. As a result his load on the head fell down tearing part of his silvery hair with it. The sight of his own grey hair made Uttanka aware of his predicament. Here he was, gone into his old age, and yet not permitted to leave his teacher into the open world outside.

Ahalya, the wife of Gautama, found out about the sorrow of Uttanka and asked him to speak out. Uttanka said. “All those who came here with me and even much later, have all gone back. Yet, I continue serving the teacher well into my old age”. The matter was brought to the attention of Gautama who was highly apologetic for the lapse on his part. The teacher promptly gave permission to the disciple to leave the hermitage as and when he liked.

But, Uttanka wanted to pay his dues before leaving. Gautama said. “That is very unnecessary in your case. I am pleased beyond measure even without that. I make you a youth of sixteen years with the power from my meditation. I also offer my daughter to you as parting gift. Go and enjoy life wherever it pleases you after setting up a home for yourself.”

But, Uttanka persisted. He wanted to pay for all the lessons he received from the great teacher. Only then, he argued, his studies could be complete.

Gautama said. “There is nothing I want from you. If you insist, you may ask my wife”

The precious gift

Ahalya also refused any gifts from Uttanka in the beginning. When pressed harder she said. “You know about king Saudasa (saudaasa) who is roaming around as a demon because of a curse. His wife has a pair of precious ear ornaments (ratna kundala). Bring that for me as your parting gift.” Uttanka said that he would get them and left.

Uttanka spotted Saudasa in the middle of a dense forest roaming around searching for food. He ate men who passed his way, as he had become a man eater because of the curse he had received.

When Saudasa spotted the easy prey before him he said. “I am lucky today that I found food just as I am getting hungry.” To that Uttanka replied without fear. “I have come to you to honour my pledge to my teacher. It is not fair on your part to kill me before I meet my pledge. If you are bent upon eating me, do so after I fulfill my duty to my teacher.”

Saudasa said. “May that be as you said. If there is anything I can do to help you, I shall do so by all means.”

Uttanka said. “There is a pair of ear rings worn by your wife. My teacher’s wife wants me to get them for her.”

Saudasa said. “That is perfectly all right with me. Go and ask my wife, Madayanti.” Uttanka went to the queen and repeated his request and added that Saudasa had given him permission to take the ear rings. But, the queen said. “How do I know that you speak the truth? These are so precious that my ear rings appear like molten gold during the day and shine like the moon and stars at night. One who wears these will be free from hunger and thirst and of fear from snake poison and so on. The ear rings adjust themselves in size to suit the person who wears them. There are so many who are out to grab them at the very first opportunity. Go and get some proof that will convince me that what you say is true.”

Uttanka returned to the king and repeated what the queen told him. To that Saudasa spoke a sentence, ‘I know that this path will be favourable to us and I know of no other’ and asked Uttanka to repeat that to his wife.

Madayanti was satisfied with the words of Saudasa as repeated by Uttanka and gave her ear rings to the Brahmin. Uttanka went back to Saudasa carrying he ear rings and said that he wanted to ask one question to the king. The king was willing to listen. Uttanka asked. “I am indebted to you for your kindness and you have become my friend now. Please reply me frankly. Will it be right for me to return to you after I fulfill my obligation to my teacher?”

Saudasa replied. “I wish you well. Hence, never come back to me again. If you do, I am sure to kill and eat you. Go well and I wish you good luck!”

Thus, Uttanka cleverly got rid of the menace from the man-eating king and went his way to his teacher to fulfill his dues.

(To be continued)