Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The War – Day 18 (Part 9)


Duryodhana’s parting words

Sanjaya found Duryodhana lying down in the dust and profusely bleeding from his broken thigh. He was wailing over his own pitiable condition. At the same time the proud prince was hissing like a cobra at his enemies.

He lamented. “I was the lord of eleven divisions (AkshauhiNi) of army commanded by great warriors like Bhishma and Drona commanded. Yet, I find myself in this pitiable condition. None can overcome what fate one has in store”.

“Sanjaya, please tell all our people who remain alive that Bhima felled me using unfair tactics. The Pandavas, besides, have committed several such heinous crimes to win the war. The way they put down Bhishma, Drona, Bhurisravas and Karna was cruel and unpardonable”

“You must convey the following words of mine to my aggrieved parents. I ruled the land that spread as far as the oceans on all the sides. I went to all the hostile kingdoms, won them in straight battles and made them my vassals. I was formidable to my enemies and generous to the needy. I performed great sacrificial rituals with the money I so amassed. At the end I have been beaten by Bhima in a battle that was against the codes. But, luckily, I never had to be a slave to an enemy after losing a battle”.

“You must tell my friends like Aswatthama, Kripa and Kritavarma that they should never trust the Pandavas who have cheated us throughout this war. Tell them all that I am now going the way Drona, Karna, Salya and Sakuni went”.

The Kaurava prince was not repentant even a bit. Even at his death bed we find him in his usual haughty mood.

A new commander

The son of Drona (Aswatthama) rushed to Duryodhana in the company of Kripa and Kritavarma when he heard the news. When Duryodhana saw his friends he repeated the same words that he had spoken to Sanjaya. Aswatthama got into an uncontrollable rage. He swore in front of his friend. “I know how Dhrishtadyumna killed my father after getting Yudhishthira speak the lie about my death. Mark my words! I shall send all the Panchalas to the abode of Yama (God of Death). I shall thus avenge the death of my father”.

Duryodhana was greatly pleased hearing the words of the son of Drona (Droni). He addressed Kripa. “Acharya (teacher), please bring water to install Droni as the commander of our army!”

The consecration ceremony was done as the dying Kaurava watched the scene with great satisfaction. Aswatthama let out a terrible battle cry at the end and set out to execute his pledge in front of his dying friend.

The chapter of “battle with maces (gadaa yuddha parvam) and the Book of Salya (Salya parvam)” end here. But, the battle of the 18th day continues in the next episode. We have covered only about two thirds of Mahabharatam by volume. But, we are left only roughly with ten percent of the main story. There are interesting stories later, too. We may cover them depending on the interest left with the readers at that time.