Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Kunti with Karna

Krishna next went to meet Karna alone. He told Karna of his birth to Kunti when she was, still, a maiden. Karna was, thus, the eldest of the Pandavas and it was right on his part to fight along with his brothers.

Krishna continued, saying that the Pandavas would welcome him with open arms. Being the eldest, he would become the king and enjoy the support of all.

Karna replied. “Krishna, I knew of my birth. But, remember that my mother abandoned me while I was merely a baby. It was Adhiratha (the charioteer of the Kauravas) and his wife, Radha, who found me and brought me up. As far as I am concerned, they are my parents. It was thanks to Duryodhana that I now enjoy a royal status. In return, I have promised my unquestioned support to him, more so to face Arjuna in war. I know that you are talking out of concern for me. But, I shall not change sides at any cost”.

Krishna told Karna that the Pandavas would ultimately win the war that was imminent. Karna knew that also. But, he was not afraid of death. He would ascend to heaven that was due for warriors who stood firm in battles. He would meet Krishna again there.

With those words the two embraced each other and parted company.

Kunti with Karna

Vidura reported the failed mission of Krishna to Kunti. He was worried about the total destruction that was sure to happen.

Kunti’s thoughts immediately went to her first born, Karna. What a pity that he was with the Kauravas! She thought that she would face her son and talk directly to him.

Kunti found Karna on the shores of river Ganga performing his morning prayers. She waited patiently for her son to finish his worship of the rising sun.

When Karna opened his eyes he found the Pandava queen waiting. He smiled and greeted her with the words, “I, the son of Radha and Adhiratha, prostrate before you”.

Kunti said. “You are not the son of Radha. You are my son”. She knew that Karna was aware of his true birth. So, without going through the past, she simply asked her son to join his brothers in battle. It is said that words came down from the sun god (who was also Karna’s real father) at that time supporting Kunti’s view.

Karna replied. “You did not do your duty as mother when I needed your support most. You abandoned me to keep your image in tact. I owe everything that I have to Duryodhana. What will people say, if I abandon him at this crucial time, when he needs my help most? I am not afraid of defeat or even death. I shall face your sons boldly in war. But, you have come to me with a request. I give you one promise. I shall spare the lives of all your sons, except that of Arjuna. Whether it is I or Arjuna who survive, you will be left with five sons at the end ”.
There was nothing more to talk to her son who remained steadfast in his resolve. So, Kunti blessed her son and left him with a heavy heart.

Meanwhile, Krishna returned to Upaplavya (where the Pandavas lived) and reported the failed peace talks in detail to Yudhishthira. He said that hoping for peace with the Kauravas was futile. The time had come for the Pandavas to face them in battle.

Thus ends the chapter on “Krishna’s journey to Hastinapura (Bhagavad Yaana Parvam)”.