Sunday, April 15, 2007

The decisive force

We have seen in the last episode that the meeting among the supporters of Pandavas took two decisions. First, it was necessary to demand through an emissary the fair share of the land of the Kurus. Drupada’s priest was sent for the purpose to Hastinapura, the capital city of the Kauravas.

Drupada had suggested that the Pandavas should waste no time and approach all possible sources for help in the impending war. Messengers were sent to various kings seeking their support.

Duryodhana knew by then where exactly his arch enemies lived. It was easy for him to watch every move of the Pandavas through cleverly posted spies. The moment he understood that the Pandavas were going to ask for help from various kings, he also sent his men to all lands far and wide.

Help from the Yadavas

The Yadavas were a substantial force and worthy of special consideration. Krishna was their unquestionable leader. The Pandavas’ first thought was to seek Krishn’a blessing and support in the war. Arjuna was his friend. So, it was decided that he should go to Krishna.

Duryodhana could guess this very move of the Pandavas in advance. He, himself, decided to pay a visit to the Yadava prince in Dwaraka. He reached Krishna’s abode even before Arjuna. Krishna was taking an afternoon nap when Duyodhana arrived. There was a throne conveniently placed near the bed of Krishna where his head rested. Probably, it was there with a purpose. Duryodhana observed that Krishna was asleep and noticed the throne. He sat on the throne waiting for the Yadava to open his eyes.

Arjuna entered the room next. He also noticed that Krishna sleeping. He stood waiting at the foot of the bed with folded hands. It was then that he noticed Duryodhana sitting at the other end. The Kaurava smiled triumphantly at the Pandava.

Soon, Krishna opened his eyes. It was natural that his eyes fell first on Arjuna standing in reverence at his feet. When Duryodhana realized that Krishna was awake he spoke.

“Krishna, I have come for your help in the war between the Kauravas and the Pandavas. I was here before Arjuna. So, it is proper that you honour my request first.”

Krishna turned to the Kaurava and smiled welcoming him. Then, he replied. “I believe your words. But, it was Arjuna that I saw first. I am sure, both of you would have come for the same purpose. Let me put my cards down. I have a vast army of skilled Yadava warriors. The entire army is one choice. I, on the other, place myself as the other choice. But, let me make it clear, I shall not be armed. I give the first chance to choose to Arjuna as I saw him first”.

Duryodhana waited with throbbing heart for Arjuna to make his choice. The entire Yadava army was too good an offer to lose. It was unfair that the first choice went to Arjuna.

Then he heard Arjuna’s words. He could not first believe that he heard him correctly.
Arjuna said. “Krishna, I choose you. It does not matter, if you are not armed. But, I want you to drive my chariot”.
Krishna said, “done”.
(Hence, the famous epithet, Parthasarathy or Arjuna’s charioteer, for Krishna)

Duryodhana did not have to speak. He did not have words to speak, anyway. What luck! How did the fool of Arjuna ask for the unarmed Krishna? He soon took leave thanking Krishna profusely for his offer of generous help.

When Duryodhana left Krishna smiled and asked Arjuna why he chose him. Arjuna said.
“Krishna, I am quite capable of handling all those enemies alone whom you would have defeated in war. What I need is your presence by my side and guidance. I can manage the rest”.

Krishna must have anticipated this outcome in advance. He simply smiled and bid good bye to his dear friend.

We have just learnt about the single event that shaped the outcome of the war. We cover the other offers of help in the next episode.